Monday, January 30, 2012

The look and feel of Rashomon


Alex Holt
Jan-17-2012
Rashomon

               The look and feel of Rashomon was very different, because of the setting is out of the United States. The type of houses or tents that the people were in looked different from what I would expect a home in America.  This movie was about how 4 different people tell a story from their point of view of what happened.  One critic said “There’s a moral here, and its best expressed by one character’s assertion that it’s human to lie, even to ourselves”. This is the message the director is trying to get across to the viewer. No matter the country or the color, or race of a person we are all human and we will tell the story the way our mind interrupts.

               I also think this movie was very different because in the 1950’s ,when this movie was made ,most people only knew about western movies in America for the director to take the chance at a movie like this was very outside of most boundaries.  This was a phenomenal film and it influenced cultures for many years to come by showing different cultures and world to a Japanese film which most people were not interested in before Rashomon. The role the woman played in this movie reminds me of how woman of American cultures were when film noir was present. She was very quiet for most of her scenes and then towards the end she makes the men fight for her love until one of them dies. Just like in most film for tall movies the woman gets what she wants at the end. I really liked how the director made the connection between the genres, and cultures.
               As each character tells there story about what happened the lighting is very intense at the beginning to draw the viewer in. As there story starts to climax, music and quick motions become a part of the film as well. The bold lighting and storyboard effectively enables characters to convey their potent mockery of the story, which also brings the viewer’s attention past the story telling and makes it seem like this is what really happened. The man who was sleep in the woods as the woman and her husband came past, played a big role in the movie. He was the one who fought for the woman and showed off his talents and strengths to win the woman over from her husband. Towards the beginning of his role, it seems as he is just the normal guy who goes crazy once he sees the woman he likes he will do anything to get her, and the woman played the role that she was not interested.  Over all the movie had a good message and strong content. It also lets the characters tell the story in a different way each time and at the end it let them express there opinion on what happen when they were confession on the roof top, I feel this helped the characters get their own identity . I feel like in this movie it could have had a better ending and more scene changing events to keep the viewer’s attention better.               Overall it was a decent movie.

6 comments:

  1. A well-rounded review; I like your comparisons to film noir and the fact that you found the settings surprising, Rashomon being your first Japanese film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your review. Your comparisons to American film was enlightening. However, I feel Rashomon was a horrible film. It did not make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that you pointed out how this film has influenced cultures. One of the reviews I chose for the meta review did the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your comparison between the woman in this movie and those in film noir. Very interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hood review. I liked that you talked about its influence. Only complaint is that you don't really have an introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good... Give me more of your critical thinking

    ReplyDelete