Alex Holt
02/28/2012
Waiting To Exhale
Waiting
to Exhale has the perfect name to me because this movie hits all major key
points of what black woman want in a man and have not found, so the woman are
holding their breath and waiting exhale with new great men but they never find
them in the movie. It is kind of like a sad twisted love story along with a
real life twist all in one movie. The actress in this movie are along the A
list in Hollywood, Whitney Houston played a woman named (Savannah) in the movie
she was a woman in search of love so she left her job in Denver to travel to
Arizona where she had a job awaiting her, along with her 3 friends who all
stared in the movie. Angela Bassett played a woman named (Bernadine) who is
left by her husband in the beginning of the movie for a white woman played by
Loretta Devine (Gloria).
The
plot of this movie is straight forward so if you’re looking for a movie with a
lot of twist and hiding secrets keep on going past this movie, because you will
not find what you are looking for. If you like a standard chick flick with a
twist that woman can get even too then this is your movie. In this movie 123
minute movie Forest Whitaker keeps the drama high in all the relationships
throughout the whole movie. One thing I would like to give the director a
thumbs up for is giving all the woman in the movie some type of closer in the movie,
even if it was just some type of mental closer on a bad relationship, or a
woman making up her mind and deciding to have a baby with a man she knew would
never amount to being a good father or even leave his wife.
Robert
Ebert says "Waiting to Exhale is not really an assault on black men (and
men in general), but an escapist fantasy that women in the audience can enjoy
by musing, "I wish I had her problems" - and her car, house,
wardrobe, figure and men, even wrong men.” The sentence by him was taking straight
out of my mouth because as a kid when I went to see this movie back in 1995 or
1996 the older woman I went with talked about this movie for weeks and talked
about how there men weren’t worth anything and wished they had better jobs and
more money, but they all went home later with these same men they just
degraded. I think a movie as drama packed as this reminds me of a good soap
opera, because it goes back and forth multiple times with the same characters
and just about the same story. Overall I think this was a good movie for its
time frame it was made in and is still relevant to this day and I must say RIP
to the Great Whitney Houston who did a great job acting, in this film.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI loved it!! However, I disagree with Ebert. The film explores the lives of these women but Certainly, I do not believe its an attack on black men or men in general. I fact I had a confession session with my mom when I saw the film. Some men make horrible decisions and unfortunately must deal with the consequences.
ReplyDeleteInteresting review! I enjoyed reading about your experience when you went to see this movie!
ReplyDeleteDitto to Andrea.
ReplyDeleteNice one... Finally since the others are unreadable. this is one is perfect, good job
ReplyDelete