Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Money Ball 7


Alex Holt
Money Ball
03/06/2012
Review 7

            The art of winning an unfair game is the book the movie money ball is based off of. Now I have never read the book but I have read the summary over the book and have heard that it is pretty close to the movie. So I guess what I am trying to get at is I love a movie that is based off a true story it just makes the creditability even better, and that’s before we get into who is the star of the movie.  Brad Pit played ( Billy Beane) the general manager of the Oakland A’s. The story is based over Billy having a low budget salary and he cannot get the players needed to compete against the big teams like the Yankees and the Red Sox’s, so he has to come up with a creative touch an edge to get his team at a high level of play. So he did the unthinkable and made his team up off of computer based status of the players.

            Everyone in the organization thought he was out of his mind to do something like this but he believed in (Jonah Hill) Peter Brand who was his right hand person and he had all the mathematical calculations down, of who was a good hitter and good catch and more. As the season gets under way it is not looking good for Billy Beane people are starting to doubt him and the owner is starting to get mad that he is letting his team go down. After a small period of time they start to win and the players start to play as a team Billys method is working and he is getting everyone on his side again. His team did not win the playoffs but they got into the play offs and Billy turned down a job at the Boston Red Soxs for 12.5 million a year. This type of money was unheard of for a general manager in baseball. Most people would take the money and run and be happy but Billy did not manage baseball for the money he did it for the love of the game he did it to show the world he could.
            Towards the end of the movie it shows Billys emotions of the game and it builds you up to think that he might leave the Oakland A’s because he needs a change. So I felt the director did a wonderful job of throwing a change up in the movie by having him turn that money down and not letting it change his character as a person, because throughout the whole movie he was mad because he wasn’t giving enough money to make a good team, but it was proving that money doesn’t make the team the people and the managers make the team.
Overall a really good movie and for baseball fans it will make you get an understanding of how things work behind the scenes. If you are not a baseball or sports fan I would not recommend this movie, because my mother and sisters both fell asleep when going to see this.

4 comments:

  1. Good review, I would just proofread because there are a few grammatical errors. I am not a sports fan so I would probably be like your mother and sisters if I went and seen this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea what this film about. Your description of the story paints an image in my mind...it makes me want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Review. Your decription of the film was very interesting. However, I am with your parents. I may fall asleep watching this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the title reminds me of dragon ball. but in general it was good to read your review

    ReplyDelete